• @dan-sharpe-gedu-demo-viewsonic-com

My favorite trainings were the ones where the trainers were passionate about what they were training and provided hands on opportunities for me. They also did not read off slides but asked us questions to engage us and get to know us.

The trainings I did not like were the ones that trainers stood in the front and lectured the whole time and gave us no opportunity to participate.

• @pam-pettyjohn-wcsga-net

I too find it so funny how much we are like our students. If I am in a training where they just lecture and I have no way to get involved, I work on other things on my computer or zone out. I need to be engaged and be given the opportunity to participate or they lose me

• @dan-sharpe-gedu-demo-viewsonic-com said in Leading a Training:

What are things you loved about trainings you've attended before?

What are things you've disliked about trainings you've attended before?

I love it when trainers give us the opportunity to try things on our own and make it applicable to actual classroom experiences

I dislike it when trainings consist of spewing information without modeling, for instance a static screen with screenshots instead of showing the actual program.

• @clewis YES! to all of this. I often feel as though teacher leaders/trainers often forget what it is like to be in the classroom and forget best practices.

• @clewis This is so true!!!

What I loved about the trainings I have been to is the excitement that the trainers had for their product. It is an amazing tool that can change the lives of teachers who will take the time to learn how to use it to enhance the classroom experience for their students.

What I dislike is not really a negative. The ViewSonic Board is such an incredible ed tech tool but it takes time to learn everything. Training in large groups has it limitations and also time to train has its limits. Most teachers only get to scratch the surface of what they have been given to use. Many teachers have a fear that they will mess it up if they experiment so they do not get to experience the full potential.

• @christine-carlson-k12-sd-us
    Christine this is so true. Teachers are overwhelmed with PD and much of it has become a waste of their time. Finding the balance between getting the training accomplished and allowing for some "adult time" because teachers do not get that often is a key to a successful professional development session. If a trainer allows for that to happen many teachers begin to share what they know and begin to network so that the training will continue with that cohort after the formal training sessions have ended.

• Trainings I have loved involved a lot of back-and-forth rather than sit-and-get. I appreciate the same types of strategies I'd use to teach students -- discussion, music, graphic organizers, getting up and moving, reciprocal teaching... all of those great brain-engaging tools that I'd use in the classroom. A training I remember very well was given by Marcia L. Tate (her book is "Sit & Get" Won't Grow Dendrites). She modeled active learning strategies to teach the structure of the brain, and I still remember the motions today. Another thing I've loved about trainings in the past is being able to walk away with something (a lesson plan, a game, whatever) that I can use right away. I leave feeling like my time has been well spent.
    Things I dislike about trainings include being "read at," sitting for long periods of time, not having a chance to verbally process the information with peers, and for learning to be "one size fits all."

• @clewis "teachers make the worse students," right? 🙃
    I love that you use the word "engaged," because it's all about engagement! The engagement process starts with MOTIVATION before moving on to PARTICIPATION and then PROGRESSION. If teachers aren't bought-in to the training (motivated), then they won't take part (participation). I huge way to impact that is to INVOLVE teachers in the training! I think some general reservations presenters have are that "my material doesn't lend itself to active participation," or "I don't have time to incorporate activities in my session." Even if that involvement is just a simple call-and-response, the audience must be involved!!

Prior to the PD I need to have a conversation with the organizer and set the objectives for the PD. Then build the agenda and also, do not forget to know about the type of computers, connections, wifi, district or school-specific logins.
    Finally, during the PD, have fun and be relatable with giving lots of opportunities for hands-on time. Use the tools to the model while you are presenting instead of just reading from the presentation.

• @browna2

I completely agree! In addition, I try to share resources so that the people that are receiving the information and the skills are able to figure things out (for the most part) on their own.

• @shidalgo I agree about hands-on activities!! I always try to give the teachers something to take with them. Or I give them practice time so they can ask questions while I am there with them. I believe having the practice time makes them more confident in completing the required activities.

• @clewis Completely agree about being engaged. When all classes went virtual, it became a little more difficult to tell if the teachers were engaged bc most kept cameras off. I now ask them to keep the camera on, this way I can somewhat read facial expressions and know if I need to switch things up a bit.

• In trainings I love when someone can keep me engaged. I feel like even if I am not interested in the content, I enjoy trainings where the leader is enjoying themselves and is really passionate about what they are teaching. I can see this in my own trainings also. I try now to only create courses about topics I really enjoy bc if I am not having fun, neither are the participants.

I agree about reading slides and also find needless repetition annoying. If someone doesn't understand they will ask a question. There is really no need to repeat the same information multiple times if an answer can be found in the presentation that will be shared. I feel like sometimes we forget to set our expectations high for teachers. I am always open to questions, I think they are important to the courses, but I try not to be repetitive.

One of the most impactful trainings I attended recently was fast-paced and online. The presenter started with a song and asked us to write in the chat to explain why we thought he chose the song to start the training. I found this to be a very fun, engaging way to start the workshop. Furthermore, although the training went quickly, the presenter pinpointed skills that I could use in my daily practice immediately and also share with my coworkers. I walked away from the training with concrete methods to implement.

At the beginning of the year, we had a training that I disliked. The presenter was covering a lot of material and she had assumed that many of us had prior knowledge. As a newer teacher in my district, I was not aware of the previous initiatives and found myself overwhelmed. We also sat on uncomfortable cafeteria bences for about 3 hours without bathroom or stretch breaks which made it hard to focus on the content. Moving forward, I would like to build in breaks for participants in my own trainings.

• @smorrissette How do you incorporate fun into your trainings? Are there any methods or activities you love and could share? I find it hard to find activities that adults would find engaging but not cheesy.

I love trainings that allow me to learn from trial and error. Hands on is essential or I will not remember past the session. I definitely do not have time to re-read materials and learn on my own. In fact, I prefer that someone provide digital resources and links organized where I do not have to search for answers that I need.
    I do not like trainings that have people that have not taught to children and teens. I want someone training me that has experience not just theory and technique.

• @smorrissette I agree with you on reading slides. I also think that the presenter should be passionate and excited about what they are teaching. There have been many times I am left wondering how some past presenters of PD were ever successful in the classroom, if they are using the same teaching methods.

I agree with you as well on leaving time for questions. I have attended some really great trainings that did not allow time for further questions or contact information if questions should arise.

I want to create relevant, applicable, and practicle PD. Just like in my classroom, I want questions and opportunities for the participants to practice. And like you, built in breaks will be built in to my training agendas.