• @dan-sharpe-gedu-demo-viewsonic-com
    I love trainings that allow me to learn from trial and error. Hands on is essential or I will not remember past the session. I definitely do not have time to re-read materials and learn on my own. In fact, I prefer that someone provide digital resources and links organized where I do not have to search for answers that I need.
    I do not like trainings that have people that have not taught to children and teens. I want someone training me that has experience not just theory and technique.

• @smorrissette I agree with you on reading slides. I also think that the presenter should be passionate and excited about what they are teaching. There have been many times I am left wondering how some past presenters of PD were ever successful in the classroom, if they are using the same teaching methods.

I agree with you as well on leaving time for questions. I have attended some really great trainings that did not allow time for further questions or contact information if questions should arise.

I want to create relevant, applicable, and practicle PD. Just like in my classroom, I want questions and opportunities for the participants to practice. And like you, built in breaks will be built in to my training agendas.

• I have never led a PD on myViewBoard before, but I have done tech-based PD with regards to the use of Google Sites, Slides, ClassroomScreen, Grade Transferer, etc. I am not very confident speaking in front of adults but when I can get pretty passionate about talking about tech, and how it can make the classroom so much more fun, engaging, and easier!

I really enjoyed the PDs where we get to engage with what we are doing, so hands-on trainings are the most memorable and the best way to learn. The only downside to tech-related PDs is a lot of times, we "do" so much that it could be too overwhelming. I'm a note-taker, so I may seem like I am not paying attention all the time, but I am I learn by visuals and physically taking notes. So, I do wish that there would be hand outs that we can just write our notes on (like guided notes), maybe the icons are already draw there and we just need to write what they do etc.

• @jhunter

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but if it's a myViewBoard training for teachers, I would probably group them into vertical teams. So, that I can ask them for a specific lesson they would like to use or try creating a canvas session for within the class. I feel like this way, they can see that even though it looks like a lot of tools are geared towards math teachers, they can still do so much more.

I've always felt like the trainings were either geared towards elementary school teachers or math teachers. I think it would be fun to create a mini-lesson or even a bell ringer that the teachers could use immediately when they get back in their own classrooms. Also, BIG NO to ice breakers, nobody really likes those.

• When I have attended trainings, I love it when the facilitator is full of excitement and energy about their topic. It makes it so much more exciting to listen to. When speakers are monotone, and lack energy, it is much harder to listen to their topic and pay attention.

• @hannahsage-scsb-org I agree with all of these things! I do not like it when I am handed a packet and the people read me the packet. I begin to question why I'm attending because I can read the packet myself!
    I also agree that hands on training and being able to practice what is taught is so beneficial. Just telling me to do something and not giving me a chance to practice makes me forget what I learned later on. Being able to practice right in the training is so beneficial. If I have questions or problems then I can ask right in the session.

• The best trainings I have attended are the ones that were hands on. I am the type of learner where I need to actually "do" in order the retain the information presented. I think this true for many, especially when it comes to using technology.

The trainings I have disliked are the ones where the presenters just talked at you, only showed slides/pages, and presented information that was not available to all attendees. I think slides can be good to use as a visual agenda (and to keep pacing), but do not need to be read directly or solely presented. Attendees do not want to be talked at for the entire PD.

• @bbrooks This is so true! It makes you wonder how some people were chosen to be presenters and how they keep those positions - especially with most PD having a feedback survey at the end.

• A must have for any training is the balance between theory and practical hands on elements. Training must engage with the learners at their level. Do not use too many technical terms without explanation. Do not presume the learners know everything you do. Gauge where they are and move from there. Allow them to ask questions at any point. Then follow up with some drop ins and in class support as required.

• @pardond-pitt-k12-nc-us I completely agree. Being shown something, and just having to listen to the presenter, or just watch video after endless video is mind numbing, and it can sometimes be difficult to grasp what they are wanting you to do.

The sessions I have attended that you are hands on, you are shown something practical, and then given the opportunity to do this yourself is far more engaging, and more likely to remember what to do. I find the best way of learning is by doing and not watching.

• hi, helloo