• @bbrooks This is so true! It makes you wonder how some people were chosen to be presenters and how they keep those positions - especially with most PD having a feedback survey at the end.

• A must have for any training is the balance between theory and practical hands on elements. Training must engage with the learners at their level. Do not use too many technical terms without explanation. Do not presume the learners know everything you do. Gauge where they are and move from there. Allow them to ask questions at any point. Then follow up with some drop ins and in class support as required.

• @pardond-pitt-k12-nc-us I completely agree. Being shown something, and just having to listen to the presenter, or just watch video after endless video is mind numbing, and it can sometimes be difficult to grasp what they are wanting you to do.

The sessions I have attended that you are hands on, you are shown something practical, and then given the opportunity to do this yourself is far more engaging, and more likely to remember what to do. I find the best way of learning is by doing and not watching.

• hi, helloo

• @dan-sharpe-gedu-demo-viewsonic-com

When leading a training I like to open up with a quick ice-breaker activity to get the groups attention. I have been to quite a few training sessions but things that stick out the most are the ones when the trainer is actively engaged in the audience. They are not just speaking and expecting listeners, they are engaging and interacting with their audience. The opposite actions from a trainer would be my dislike in trainings that I have attended.

• @pardond-pitt-k12-nc-us
    Hands on activities and training session make the time and event more enjoyable to attend. I love "Make-N-Take" training sessions because I feel like I am learning something that I can take with me later.

• Pro Tip: keep the audience engaged by using simple terminology and not bog them down with jargon they may not know.
    Loved: small group training that allowed time to play and create and ask questions.
    Disliked: too much time taken out to do introductions or ice breakers

• I love when a trainer keeps you engaged and gives you hands-on activities to do for the training you are in. This is an excellent way to know I understand what is being presented.

• I don't like not having an agenda to tell me what the training will cover. Some trainings are optional, and I always like to choose the one that fits my needs more so that I am not in training I don't need.

• @stodghillh I LOVE me some make-and-take PDs they are definitely the most beneficial! With as much as educators have going on the more multitasking that can be done in a PD the better!

• @bbrooks, I agree!! I want a more hands-on approach. I can read a packet on my own time. Give me activities to do while in training that I can use the information I have been trained on.

• I love that the training I went to was semi self-paced and allowed us to work through things and ask questions as we went.

• @tquinlan I didn't feel like we had obnoxious ice breakers luckily, but that does normally drive me crazy.

• @frauline-walker-hopkins-kyschools-us I totally agree with everything you said! Well stated.

• One tip I have for delivering a training is to provide solid examples of how the information you are shaing can be used the next day. If trainees feel like they can take away something and use it tomorrow, they are more likely to dive in and try other aspects of your training.

I really like attending a training where I have a list of things to try out before I learn more content. I also like documentation to take away... links to more resources or helpful tips.

I tend to tune out in trainings where slides are read to me or when I don't have an opportunity to reflect on what I'm learning and how I might apply my learning to my job.

• @pamancelet I agree that hands-on activities are crucial to a great training. If I have to "sit and get" for more than 30 minutes I start to tune out and fidget. And 'yes please!' on having an agenda! I need to know what's going to be covered. I also love it when the agenda is provide as an editable doc so I can take notes as I learn.